Are you looking for a classic cake recipe that’s easy to make and always delicious? Look no further than a Moist Vanilla Sponge Cake. This recipe is perfect for any occasion, from birthdays to afternoon tea. The light and fluffy texture of the cake combined with the sweet vanilla flavor makes it a crowd-pleaser for all ages. In this blog post, we’ll provide you with the ingredients, equipment needed, and step-by-step instructions to make this cake.
Who is this recipe for? This recipe is perfect for anyone who loves baking and wants to impress their guests with a classic dessert. It’s also great for beginners who want to learn how to bake a cake from scratch. The ingredients are simple and easy to find, and the instructions are easy to follow.
- 1 cup (225g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups (360g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) whole milk, at room temperature
- 2 9-inch cake pans
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowls
- Hand or stand mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wire rack
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and prepare your cake pans by lining them with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, making sure each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Mix in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, alternating with the milk. Mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 5 minutes before transferring them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, you can frost and decorate them as desired.
- Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature before beginning.
- Sift the dry ingredients to ensure there are no lumps.
- Do not overmix the batter or the cake will become dense.
- To make the cake extra moist, you can add 1/4 cup of sour cream to the batter.
- Chocolate Sponge Cake: Replace 1/2 cup of flour with cocoa powder and add 1/2 cup of boiling water to the batter.
- Lemon Sponge Cake: Add 1 tablespoon of lemon zest to the batter and substitute lemon extract for the vanilla extract.
- Strawberry Sponge Cake: Fold in 1/2 cup of chopped fresh strawberries into the batter before baking.
Q: Can I make this cake in advance? A: Yes, you can make this cake up to 2 days in advance. Store it in an airtight container at room temperature.
Q: How should I store any leftovers? A: Store any leftover cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Q: What can I pair this cake with? A: This cake pairs well with a cup of tea or coffee. You can also serve it with whipped cream and fresh berries for a lighter dessert option or decorate it with buttercream frosting for a richer treat.
In conclusion, the Moist Vanilla Sponge Cake is a classic recipe that’s easy to make and perfect for any occasion. With simple ingredients and easy instructions, this cake is perfect for beginners and experienced bakers alike. Try out the recipe and share it with your friends and family. And don’t forget to subscribe to our blog for more delicious recipes and baking tips. Happy baking!