Spice mixes are an essential part of many cuisines around the world, adding flavor, aroma, and color to dishes. Here are 15 spice mixes from around the world that you can try at home:
- Garam Masala – A blend of warm spices commonly used in Indian cuisine, including cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, and coriander.
- Ras El Hanout – A North African spice mix that includes cinnamon, cumin, ginger, and turmeric, along with other spices that vary depending on the region.
- Baharat – A Middle Eastern spice blend that typically includes allspice, cinnamon, and cumin, along with other spices like coriander and cardamom.
- Za’atar – A popular spice mix in Middle Eastern cuisine, made with dried thyme, oregano, sesame seeds, and sumac.
- Panch Phoron – A five-spice blend commonly used in Bengali cuisine, made up of equal parts fenugreek, nigella seeds, cumin, black mustard seeds, and fennel.
- Herbes de Provence – A French spice blend that typically includes thyme, rosemary, oregano, and lavender, along with other herbs depending on the recipe.
- Chinese Five Spice – A Chinese spice blend made with equal parts cinnamon, cloves, fennel, star anise, and Sichuan peppercorns.
- Berbere – A spicy Ethiopian spice mix made with chili peppers, paprika, ginger, garlic, and other spices.
- Cajun Seasoning – A popular seasoning blend in Louisiana cuisine, made with paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and other spices.
- Adobo Seasoning – A seasoning blend commonly used in Mexican and Filipino cuisine, made with garlic, oregano, cumin, and other spices.
- Harissa – A North African chili paste made with roasted red peppers, chili peppers, garlic, and spices like cumin and coriander.
- Jerk Seasoning – A Jamaican spice mix made with allspice, thyme, cinnamon, and other spices, often used to season meat.
- Tandoori Masala – A spice blend used in Indian cuisine to make tandoori chicken, made with a mix of spices like cumin, coriander, and paprika.
- Shichimi Togarashi – A Japanese seven-spice blend made with chili pepper, sesame seeds, and other spices, often used to season noodles and rice dishes.
- Zahtar – A Levantine spice mix made with sesame seeds, sumac, and thyme, often used to season grilled meats and vegetables.
Each of these spice mixes has a unique flavor and can add depth and complexity to dishes. Try experimenting with different blends in your cooking to create new and exciting flavors.